I'm blessed to be living a bold, beautiful life through helping others. My goal is to touch, move, and inspire health and healing in a million people by 2010 with my work and clinic. Maybe you will be one of the Million!

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Gluten-Free Miracle Cures?



Gluten-free foods are becoming more widespread, but gluten's role in health problems remains unclear.
source: New York Times

This article is possibly one of the most thorough, easy to understand articles on Gluten intolerance's I have come across. And, as a bonus, we have a quote about holistic practitioners waiving crystal balls....it reminds me of the last time I was dancing around my clinic waiving mine...ahhh...those are the GOOD times we all live for.
On a serious note, I do believe that it lights on the distinction between WHY people are benefiting from going gluten free. At my clinic, we sometimes teach people about gluten free lifestyles when they are experiencing signs that a wheat based diet could be doing more harm than good. In a vast majority of these cases, we see improvement in all sorts of things from arthritis, to intestinal bloating and rosacea.
Now, the Dr. in this article makes a valid point that there is little evidence that gluten is causing these things...so,then what is? The article mentions the relatively new introduction of processes wheat into the human diet...perhaps we are just not able metabolize gluten efficiently. Or, we also know from Doug Kaufmann's research in the Fungus Link that barley and wheat are two of the highest carriers of mycotoxins...so perhaps we are simply poisoning ourselves with fungal toxins through consuming the wheat. Then again, highly processed flours wreak havoc with most of our blood sugars...so perhaps people are actually experiencing benefit from stabilized blood sugar levels.
My question is: DOES IT MATTER? I suppose that, yes, it would be nice to isolate all of the combining factors to certain ailments but, for the time being, I am satisfied with the results avoiding gluten brings to myself and some of my clients. By decreasing the overall stress on a person's autonomic nervous system (whatever the reason for that stress), we achieve a higher level of wellness and vitality. Of course, that decision must ultimately be made be each educated client.

No comments: